IPCC completes investigation into Humberside fatal shooting

Published: 27 Nov 2017

The independent investigation into the fatal shooting of Lewis James Skelton, aged 31, on 29 November 2016 has concluded.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has finalised its investigation report and will share it with Humberside Police in the coming days for their consideration.

Lewis was injured after a firearms officer discharged two live rounds on Francis Street in Hull city centre, following reports of a man carrying an axe. He died in hospital later that evening. A Home Office post mortem which took place on 30 November confirmed Mr Skelton died as a result of gunshot wounds.

IPCC investigators looked at the movements and actions of Lewis on the morning of his death and how Humberside Police dealt with calls made regarding Lewis and what consideration they gave to his mental health in their response.

Investigators also analysed the planning and tactics used by the force when they deployed to the scene and the actions and decisions of the officers who engaged with Lewis, including the decision to use lethal force against Lewis.

During this investigation no misconduct notices were issued to any police officers, and all of the officers and staff interviewed were treated as witnesses.

Over the course of the investigation the IPCC gathered a large volume of evidence including:

  • CCTV footage covering Lewis’ movements on the day
  • dozens of independent witness accounts
  • interviews with police officers and staff
  • force incident logs
  • recordings of the 999 calls to Humberside Police
  • the Home Office pathologist report
  • reports from ballistics, firearms tactics, and Taser experts
  • forensic evidence gathered from the scene
  • Lewis’ medical records and telephone records

Associate Commissioner Tom Milsom said:

“I would like to offer my sympathy to the family and friends of Lewis, who have shown such dignity after suffering a great loss. Everyone affected by this incident has been through a tremendously difficult time, and we appreciate their patience and understanding while we have carried out this very thorough investigation.

“I would also like to thank the officers and staff involved for their cooperation with our investigation, during what must also have been a traumatic time for them.

“We have left no stone unturned in this investigation. We are not able to publish our findings in full at this stage, but with the anniversary of Lewis’ death approaching, I felt it was important that we provide a progress update to the family, the police force, and the people of Hull.”

The IPCC will publish its findings in greater detail after the coronial process and any relevant hearings have concluded.

  • Humberside Police
  • Death and serious injury
  • Use of force and armed policing