Read all the information we hold on each police force in England and Wales. This includes details about our investigations, news releases and anonymised summaries and recommendations.
We also publish performance data for each force which sets out how they handle and resolve complaints. Each quarter, we collect data from forces about how they handle complaints. We use this to produce information bulletins. These set out performance against a number of measures and compare each force’s data with their most similar force average and the overall results for all forces. Police forces can supply commentary on their performance bulletins. This might explain why their figures differ from their most similar force average, and what they are doing to improve the way they handle complaints. Where forces provide this commentary, we publish it with the corresponding bulletin.
Our bulletins contain information about complaints defined under the Police Reform Act (PRA) 2002, as amended by the Police and Crime Act 2017. They provide the following data for each force:
- complaints and allegations logged – average time the force takes to contact complainant and to log complaints
- allegations logged – what the complaints are about and the situational context of complaints
- how complaints and allegations have been handled
- complaint cases finalised – average time the force takes to finalise complaint cases
- allegations finalised – average time the force takes to finalise allegations
- allegations decisions
- investigations – average number of days to finalise allegations by investigation
- reviews to the local policing body (LPB) for the force and to the IOPC
- reviews completed – average number of days the LPB and the IOPC take to complete reviews
- decisions on reviews – decisions made by the LPB and the IOPC
- actions following complaints (for complaints handled outside of Schedule 3 of the PRA)
- actions following complaints (for complaints handled under Schedule 3 of the PRA)
Counting rules and calculations – sets out how the data reported against in our police complaints information bulletins and annual police complaints statistics report is calculated. The counting rules and calculations in this document are consistent with our Guidance on capturing data about police complaints.
Glossary - a full list of definitions used in the police complaints bulletins and the annual police complaints statistics
Most similar forces - a list of the most similar groups of police forces that we collect data from. The average results for these groups are used in our police complaints information bulletins. Please refer to the glossary for more information about most similar force averages.
Data capture guidance for complaints received from 1 Feb 2020 - This document is issued in support of the routine request for all police forces in England and Wales to supply complaints data to us.