Updated statement on shooting incident at Croydon Custody Centre

Published: 25 Sep 2020

IOPC Regional Director Sal Naseem said:

"Today a Metropolitan Police (MPS) officer has tragically died in the line of duty and we extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends and colleagues and all of those affected by this shocking incident. The MPS is conducting a murder investigation into the officer’s death.

A 23 year old man remains in a critical condition in hospital. When a member of the public dies or is seriously injured while in police custody the Independent Office for Police Conduct’s (IOPC) role is to independently investigate the circumstances surrounding the incident.

We began our investigation in the early hours of Friday 25 September and our investigators have been at Croydon Custody Centre in Windmill Road, south London, gathering evidence. Our investigators are also in the area where the man was detained gathering relevant CCTV evidence.

We will be looking at all of the police contact with the man from the time he was detained leading up to today’s tragic incident. It is understandable there will be speculation and questions asked about how this incident unfolded and we are seeking answers. It is important that we independently establish the sequence of events.

Given the clear trauma suffered by those officers who were present during the incident, they have not yet provided their initial accounts. The work to obtain these will continue next week.

We have obtained CCTV from the custody centre and body worn video footage from the officers present. This will be reviewed and analysed over coming days.

What we have established is that the man was arrested for possession of Class B drugs with intent to supply and possession of ammunition. The man was handcuffed to the rear before being transported to Croydon Custody Suite in a police vehicle where he was escorted into the building. He remained handcuffed to the rear and seated in a holding area in the custody suite.

His handcuffs remained in place while officers prepared to search him using a metal detector. It is at this point that shots were fired resulting in the fatal injuries to the officer and critical injuries to the man. A non-police issue firearm, which appears to be a revolver has been recovered from the scene. Further ballistic work will be required.

The MPS is conducting a separate murder investigation into the death of its officer, and we are working to ensure our investigation does not impact its enquiries."

  • Custody and detention
  • Death and serious injury